Maintenance of specification models in industry using Edapt

Y. Vissers, J.G.M. Mengerink, R.R.H. Schiffelers, A. Serebrenik, M.A. Reniers

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contributionAcademicpeer-review

7 Citations (Scopus)
127 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

Domain specific languages (DSLs) ease the adoption of formal specification in industry. They allow developers to describe their specification models in concepts of their domain.

However, DSLs evolve over time, causing specification models to have to co-evolve to reflect the evolution in the DSL. The maintenance overhead introduced by these, often manual, changes to specification models threatens to overshadow the advantages of DSL usage in industry. To this extent, many approaches have been proposed in the literature to facilitate DSL maintenance by automating model co-changes.

In this paper, we evaluate the ability of a tool, Edapt, to support the change and co-change in twenty-two industrial DSLs and corresponding specification models over a maintenance period of four years. We observe that the tool is only able to automatically co-change specification models for 72% of the DSL changes. To address the remaining 28% of the changes, we extend Edapt. The resulting extension allows automatically co-changing specification models for 98% of the DSL changes.
Translated title of the contributionOnderhoud van formele specificatie modellen in de industry met gebruik van Edapt
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publication2016 Forum on specification and Design Languages (FDL), 14-16 September, 2016, Bremen, Germany
Number of pages6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2016
Event2016 Forum on specification and Design Languages (FDL 2016) - Universitaet Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Duration: 14 Sep 201616 Sep 2016
https://ecsi.org/fdl

Conference

Conference2016 Forum on specification and Design Languages (FDL 2016)
Abbreviated titleFDL 2016
CountryGermany
CityBremen
Period14/09/1616/09/16
Internet address

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Maintenance of specification models in industry using Edapt'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this